U.S. Fulbright Distinguished Chair Opportunities
The Australian-American Fulbright Commission offers highly prestigious Distinguished Chair scholarships to appropriately qualified U.S. academics and professionals. These scholarships aim to foster cultural understanding and educational exchange in a wide range of disciplines including public policy, advanced science and technology, health, cultural competence, entrepreneurship and innovation, arts and more.
Applications open annually on February 10th, and close on 1 August at 5pm EST.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be a full professor, or have the appropriate professional experience. Please see individual scholarships for eligibility requirements.
- Plan to undertake full-time research at an Australian institution for a period of 4-6 months (dependent on scholarship)
- Meet the citizenship requirements for this award
Preference for Fulbright scholar awards is given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright scholar award, or had extensive recent experience in Australia (ie. have not studied, taught, researched or worked in Australia for a period aggregating more than nine months/one academic year during the past five years).
Applicants meet the citizenship requirements for Fulbright awards if they:
- are a US citizen;
- and are not a permanent resident or citizen of Australia;
- and are not currently living in Australia.
- meet all Australian government immigration requirements to obtain a obtain a Temporary Work International Relations (subclass 403)
Scholarship entitlements vary. Please see individual scholarships for entitlement details.
In addition to individual scholarship entitlements, all Fulbright awards include:
- Health coverage under Medicare (Scholar only)
- Health and Accident Insurance (ASPE) to maximum of US$100,000 (Scholar only)
- Access to Fulbright Alumni in the US and Australia for social and professional networking
- Support through the Fulbright Commission to assist with administration, visas and general enquiries.
- Dependents of scholars who will be enrolled in the Australian public school system in grades K-12 may have tuition fees waived.
- Recipients must be in Australia to attend the Fulbright Orientation Program and Gala Presentation Dinner, which runs February/ March of their scholarship year
- Recipients will be required to undertake a full medical examination before applying for their visa;
- International travel will only be funded between the U.S. and Australia and must be on either an American or Australian carrier;
- Recipients must provide Fulbright Australia with electronic copies of any articles, research papers or theses resulting from the award. A final report must also be completed before recipients depart Australia.
- Recipients should hold any additional scholarships/grants during their Fulbright period, but may continue to receive their regular salary. Recipients of additional grants should contact the Commission.
- Travel outside of Australia during the scholarship period must be approved by the Fulbright Commission and should not exceed 14 days – this includes for conferences.
- Recipients must return to the U.S. following their scholarship period
- Recipients cannot receive remuneration for any activities whilst undertaking their program and should not teach intensive seminars or coursework.
- Applicants must complete and submit an online application by the application deadline;
- Applicants will be advised the outcome of their application between January and June of the year following application.
Please see individual scholarships for specific scholarship information.
2018 U.S. Distinguished Chair Opportunities:
Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Applied Public Policy (Sponsored by Flinders University and Carnegie Mellon University Australia)
Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Advanced Science and Technology (Sponsored by DST Group)
Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (Sponsored by ANU)
Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Cultural Competence (Sponsored by National Centre for Cultural Competence, The University of Sydney)
Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (Sponsored by RMIT University)
Fulbright Distinguished Chair (Sponsored by the University of Newcastle)
Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Science, Technology and Innovation (Sponsored by CSIRO)
Copyright © 2021 – Fullbright