Fulbright Future Scholarships
Changing Lives, Transforming Careers
Applications will open 4th February 2019 and close 15th July 2019
The Australian-American Fulbright Commission is pleased to offer Fulbright Future Scholarships – our most generous scholarship program ever. This program seeks to improve the health, wellbeing, and prosperity of Australians by funding innovative, impact-focused projects.
Thanks to generous support from The Kinghorn Foundation, Fulbright Future Scholarships fund projects that aim to advance cutting-edge applied science, kick start innovative business collaborations that foster the creation of new jobs, and further the development of impact-driven emergent technologies.
Fulbright Future Scholarships are open to postgraduate students, PhD researchers, academics and professionals. Awardees will receive funding for full tuition/visiting researcher expenses at a U.S. institution of their choice, as well as travel and living costs.
Who can apply?
Fulbright Future Scholarships are open to applications for Australian candidates who satisfy the following criteria.
- can apply as Postgraduate students, PhD researchers, postdoctoral candidates, academics or professionals
- must have an undergraduate qualification
- must propose research that is innovative and/or has the potential for significant impact
- must aim to create, contribute to, or otherwise enhance Australian-American bilateral research collaborations
- must include an additional statement separate from their project statement (maximum of one page) that outlines the impact of their proposed program
- all applicants are required to include a letter of invitation from their proposed institution with their application (except postgraduate students seeking to complete a U.S. master’s program)
Postgraduate applicants should download the attachment for additional information.
What is considered ‘Impact’?
To qualify for the Future Scholarships program, applicants should highlight the potential impact of their proposed research / study in their additional statement separate from their project statement. ‘Impact’ may be defined as;
- Significant advancement of new technologies, techniques, or other novel research with potential for practical outcomes
- Tangible effect, benefit, or outcome for Australian society
- Creation of enduring bilateral commercial or research partnerships with potential for significant growth
- Novel approaches to medical treatment or rehabilitation
- Potential for significant job-creation
- a generous living allowance
- travel allowance for international flights to/from the United States
- full tuition or visiting researcher scholar fees
- placement services support for postgraduate students seeking to complete a full U.S. master’s degree
- ASPE medical insurance of up to A$100,000 (for the scholar only)
- attendance at the Orientation Program, Showcase & Gala Presentation Dinner
- enrichment activities in the United States with other international Fulbright scholars
- access to a professional network of distinguished Australian and American Fulbright Alumni
- ongoing assistance from the Commission with visas, enrichment opportunities and pastoral care
- media and publicity support
- please view the Australian Scholarships Budget 2019/20 for more information. Please note that the budget is provided as a guide only and is subject to change.
How Do I Apply?
- Prior to applying, we strongly encourage applicants to read the Eligibility & Conditions section of the Australian Applicants page.
- Applications must be completed and submitted via the online portal (see below for instructions and access). Applications emailed or posted to the Commission cannot be considered.
- To discuss your application aspirations with someone in your area, please consider reaching out to one of our Campus Advisers.
- Download the Australian Applicant checklist to include with your application.
Please download the 2019-20 Student instructions
Postdoctoral, Professional and Scholar Award Applicants:
Please download the 2019-20 Scholar instructions.
|Postgraduate students seeking to;
Funding is available for up to 2 years and includes full tuition or visiting research scholar fees.
|Individuals seeking to undertake postdoctoral research, who have completed their PhD in the past 5 years.
The award supports a 3 – 10 month position.
|Academics (at associate professor or full professorial level) and mid-career professionals (with an undergraduate qualification and minimum 10 years work experience) to undertake research and/or training in the United States.
This award supports a 3-4 month position.