Fulbright Future Scholarships (funded by The Kinghorn Foundation)
Applications are currently closed and will re-open early 2021
The Australian-American Fulbright Commission is pleased to offer Fulbright Future Scholarships – our most generous scholarship program ever. This unique opportunity provides 100% funded opportunities for study and research programs in the U.S., for projects that seek to have a positive impact on the health, livelihoods and prosperity of Australians.
Thanks to generous support from The Kinghorn Foundation, the Fulbright Future Scholarships fund projects that have potential tangible impact. We’re looking to fully support projects that may seek to advance cutting-edge applied science, kick start innovative business collaborations that foster the creation of new jobs or further the development of impact-driven emergent technologies.
Fulbright Future Scholarships are open to postgraduate students, PhD researchers, academics and professionals. Awardees will receive funding for full tuition/visiting researcher expenses at a U.S. institution of their choice, as well as travel and living costs.
Who can apply?
Fulbright Future Scholarships are open to applications for Australian candidates who satisfy the following criteria.
- can apply as postgraduate students who seek to complete a full U.S. masters degree, or part of their Australian degree in the U.S.
- can apply as PhD researchers who seek to complete a full U.S. PhD program or part of their Australian PhD in the U.S.
- Can apply as postdoctoral candidates, academics or professionals who seek to complete a period of research in the U.S.
- must have an undergraduate qualification
- should aim to create, contribute to, or otherwise enhance Australian-American bilateral research collaborations
- must include an additional statement separate from their project statement (maximum of one page) that outlines the potential impact of their proposed program on the lives, health, livelihoods or prosperity of Australians
- all applicants are required to include a letter of invitation from their proposed (maximum one) institution with their application (except postgraduate students seeking to complete a U.S. master’s program)
- Masters-seeking postgraduate applicants should download the attachment for additional information.
What is considered ‘Impact’?
To qualify for the Future Scholarships program, applicants should highlight the potential impact of their proposed research/ study in their additional statement separate from their project statement. ‘Impact’ may be defined as;
- Significant advancement of new technologies, techniques, or other novel research with potential for practical outcomes
- Tangible effect, benefit, or outcome for Australian society
- Creation of enduring bilateral commercial or research partnerships with potential for significant growth
- Novel approaches to medical treatment or rehabilitation
- Potential for job-creation
- a monthly living allowance
- travel allowance for international flights to/from the United States
- full tuition or visiting researcher scholar fees
- placement services support for postgraduate students seeking to complete a full U.S. master’s degree
- ASPE medical insurance of up to A$100,000 (for the scholar only)
- attendance at the Orientation Program, Showcase & Gala Presentation Dinner
- enrichment activities in the United States with other international Fulbright scholars
- access to a professional network of distinguished Australian and American Fulbright Alumni
- ongoing assistance from the Commission with visas, enrichment opportunities and pastoral care
- media and publicity support
- applicants should first read the Eligibility & Conditions section of the Australian Applicants page.
|Postgraduate students seeking to:
Funding is available for up to 2 years and includes full tuition or visiting research scholar fees.
|Individuals seeking to undertake 3-10 months postdoctoral research in the U.S., who have completed their PhD in the past 5 years (or will complete their PhD before July 2021).|
|Academics (at associate professor or full professorial level) and mid-career professionals (with an undergraduate qualification and minimum 10 years work experience) to undertake research and/or training at one institute/university in the United States. This award supports a 3- 4 month position.|
Please see the Applicants Page for eligibility requirements, award conditions, FAQs, interview processes and timelines.
Copyright © 2019 – Fullbright