Fulbright Future Scholarships (funded by The Kinghorn Foundation)
Applications open 6 January 2021, 9:00am AEDT
Applications close 6 July 2021, 11:59pm AEST
The Australian-American Fulbright Commission is pleased to offer Fulbright Future Scholarships – our most generous scholarship program ever. This unique opportunity provides 100% funded opportunities for study and research programs in the U.S., for projects that seek to have a positive impact on the health, livelihoods and prosperity of Australians.
Thanks to generous support from The Kinghorn Foundation, the Fulbright Future Scholarships fund projects that have potential tangible impact. We’re looking to fully support projects that seek to advance cutting-edge applied science, support the development of new or existing medical treatments or devices, kick start innovative business collaborations that foster the creation of new jobs or further the development of impact-driven emergent technologies.
Fulbright Future Scholarships are open to postgraduate students, PhD researchers, academics and professionals. Awardees will receive funding for full tuition/visiting researcher expenses at a U.S. institution of their choice, as well as travel and living costs.
Who can apply?
Fulbright Future Scholarships are open to applications for Australian candidates who satisfy the following criteria.
- Can apply as postgraduate students who seek to complete a full U.S. Master’s degree in the U.S.
- Can apply as PhD researchers who seek to complete a full U.S. PhD program or part of their Australian PhD in the U.S.
- Can apply as postdoctoral candidates, academics or professionals who seek to complete a period of research in the U.S.
- Must have an undergraduate qualification
- Should aim to create, contribute to, or otherwise enhance Australian-American bilateral research collaborations
- Must include an additional statement separate from their project statement (maximum of one page) that outlines the potential impact of their proposed program on the lives, health, livelihoods or prosperity of Australians
- All applicants are required to include a letter of invitation from their proposed (maximum one) institution with their application (except postgraduate students seeking to complete a U.S. Master’s program)
Please see the APPLICANT INFORMATION page for information regarding Fulbright qualities, eligibility requirements, award conditions, interview processes and FAQs.
Postgraduate applicants should additionally download the POSTGRADUATE INFORMATION ATTACHMENT for postgraduate-specific information.
What is considered ‘Impact’?
To qualify for the Future Scholarships program, applicants should highlight the potential impact of their proposed research/ study in their additional statement separate from their project statement. ‘Impact’ may be defined as;
- Significant advancement of new technologies, techniques, or other novel research with potential for practical outcomes
- Tangible effect, benefit, or outcome for Australian society
- Creation of enduring bilateral commercial or research partnerships with potential for significant growth
- Novel approaches to medical treatment or rehabilitation
- Potential for job-creation
||Postgraduate students seeking to:
Funding is available for up to 2 years for a Master’s degree and up to 5 years for a PhD and includes full tuition or visiting research fees.
|Individuals seeking to undertake 3-10 months postdoctoral research in the U.S., who have completed their PhD in the past 5 years (or will complete their PhD before July 2021).|
||Academics (at associate professor or full professorial level) and mid-career professionals (with an undergraduate qualification and minimum 10 years work experience) to undertake research and/or training at one institute/university in the United States. This award supports a 3-4 month position.|
Please see the Applicants Page for eligibility requirements, award conditions, FAQs, interview processes and timelines.
Copyright © 2021 – Fullbright