Fulbright Future Scholarships (funded by The Kinghorn Foundation)
U.S. applications are open:
Postdoctoral and above 1 February – 16 September 2019
Graduate Students 1 February – 8 October
The Australian-American Fulbright Commission is pleased to offer Fulbright Future Scholarships – our most generous scholarship program ever. This unique opportunity provides 100% funded opportunities for study and research programs in Australia, and projects that seek to have a positive impact on the health, livelihoods and prosperity of American and Australian lives.
Thanks to generous support from The Kinghorn Foundation, the Fulbright Future Scholarships fund projects that have potential tangible impact. We’re looking to fully support projects that may seek to advance cutting-edge applied science, kick start innovative business collaborations that foster the creation of new jobs or further the development of impact-driven emergent technologies.
Fulbright Future Scholarships are open to postgraduate students, PhD researchers, academics and professionals. Awardees will receive funding for full tuition/visiting researcher expenses at a Australian institution of their choice, as well as travel and living costs.
Who can apply?
Fulbright Future Scholarships are open to applications for American candidates who satisfy the following criteria.
- can apply as postgraduate students who seek to complete a full Australian Master’s degree, or part of their U.S. degree in Australia
- can apply as PhD researchers who seek to complete a full Australian PhD program or part of their U.S. PhD in Australia
- Can apply as postdoctoral candidates, academics or professionals who seek to complete a period of research in Australia
- must have an undergraduate qualification
- should aim to create, contribute to, or otherwise enhance Australian-American bilateral research collaborations
- must include an additional statement separate from their project statement (maximum of one page) that outlines the potential impact of their proposed program on the health, livelihoods or prosperity of American and Australian lives
- all applicants are required to include a letter of invitation from their proposed institution with their application (except postgraduate students seeking to complete an Australian master’s program)
What is considered ‘Impact’?
To qualify for the Future Scholarships program, applicants should highlight the potential impact of their proposed research/ study in their additional statement separate from their project statement. ‘Impact’ may be defined as;
- Significant advancement of new technologies, techniques, or other novel research with potential for practical outcomes
- Tangible effect, benefit, or outcome for Australian and American society
- Creation of enduring bilateral commercial or research partnerships with potential for significant growth
- Novel approaches to medical treatment or rehabilitation
- Potential for job-creation
- a generous living allowance
- travel allowance for international flights to/from Australia
- full tuition or visiting researcher scholar fees
- ASPE medical insurance of up to A$100,000 (for the scholar only)
- attendance at the Orientation Program, Showcase & Gala Presentation Dinner
- access to a professional network of distinguished Australian and American Fulbright Alumni
- ongoing assistance from the Commission with visas, enrichment opportunities and pastoral care
- media and publicity support
How Do I Apply?
- Prior to applying, we strongly encourage applicants to read the Eligibility & Conditions section of the American Applicants page.
- Click ‘Apply Now’ at the bottom of this page
Please contact the Fulbright scholarships team via firstname.lastname@example.org
|Postgraduate students seeking to;
|Individuals seeking to undertake 3-10 months postdoctoral research in Australia, who have completed their PhD in the past 5 years.|
|Academics (at associate professor or full professorial level) and mid-career professionals (with an undergraduate qualification and minimum 10 years work experience) to undertake research and/or training in Australia.
This award supports a 3-4 month position.
Please see the Applicants Page for eligibility requirements, award conditions, FAQs, interview processes and timelines.