U.S. Fulbright Postdoctoral Opportunities
Please note that applications are currently closed. Information about the next round of scholarships will be released on a rolling basis, and will be finalised early 2017.
The Australian-American Fulbright Commission offers Postdoctoral awards for research/study periods of 3 – 10 months.
Applications open annually on 1 February and close 1 August at 5pm EST.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have completed their PhD in the past two to three years (up to five years under extenuating circumstances).
- Meet the citizenship requirements for this award
Preference for Fulbright awards is given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright award, or had extensive recent experience in Australia (ie. have not studied, taught, researched or worked in Australia for a period aggregating more than nine months/one academic year during the past five years).
Applicants meet the citizenship requirements for Fulbright awards if they:
- are a US citizen;
- and are not a permanent resident or citizen of Australia;
- and are not currently living in Australia.
- meet all Australian government immigration requirements to obtain a obtain a Temporary Work International Relations (subclass 403) visa
Scholarship entitlements vary. Please see individual scholarships for entitlement details.
In addition to individual scholarship entitlements, all Fulbright awards include:
- Health coverage under Medicare (Scholar only)
- Health and Accident Insurance (ASPE) to maximum of US$100,000 (Scholar only)
- Access to Fulbright Alumni in the US and Australia for social and professional networking
- Support from the Fulbright Commission to assist with administration, visas and general enquiries.
- Dependents of scholars who will be enrolled in the Australian public school system in grades K-12 may have tuition fees waived.
No Fulbright allowance is available for dependents that will be accompanying scholars to Australia. Please note, however, that if partners will accompany scholars to Australia for 80% or more of their program they will be eligible to apply as a dependent on the scholars’ visa, which includes working rights.
- Recipients must be in Australia to attend the Fulbright Orientation Program, which runs February/ March of their scholarship year
- Recipients will be required to undertake a full medical examination before applying for their visa
- International travel will only be funded between the US and Australia and must be on either an American or Australian carrier
- Recipients must provide Fulbright Australia with electronic copies of any articles, research papers, resulting from the award. A final report must also be completed before recipients depart Australia.
- Recipients should not hold any additional scholarships/grants during their Fulbright period, but may continue to receive their regular salary. Recipients of additional grants should contact the Commission.
- Travel outside of Australia during the scholarship period must be approved by the Fulbright Commission and should not exceed 14 days – this includes for conferences.
- Recipients must return to the U.S. following their scholarship period
- Recipients cannot receive remuneration for any activities whilst undertaking their program and should not teach intensive seminars or coursework.
The application and selection of this award is facilitated by the Council for International Exchange of Scholars in the U.S.
- Applicants must complete and submit an online application by the application deadline
- Applicants will be required to undergo a 20-30 minute Skype interview with the Australian-American Fulbright Commission if they have been short-listed for selection
- The CIES will advise applicants of the final outcome of their application by June of the year following application.
2018 U.S. Postdoctoral Scholarship Opportunities
Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship
The Fulbright Commission supports an annual postdoctoral candidate in any field/ discipline to undertake research at any Australian institution. This award supports a 3 – 10 month position.
Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship (Sponsored by the University of Newcastle)
The Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship (Sponsored by the University of Newcastle) will enable an exceptional U.S. scholar to undertake postdoctoral research at the University of Newcastle in a priority area of research. This award supports a 3 – 10 month position.
Frequently Asked Questions
Copyright © 2021 – Fulbright