Fulbright Professional Scholarship In Australia-United States Alliance Studies
Sponsored by the Australian Government, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The special award is for one Australian citizen, and aim to advance scholarship in the priority fields of strategic studies, technology and innovation. The award will promote exchange of ideas, research collaboration, and cultural understanding between American and Australian scholars as well as the institutions that host them.
This award aims to contribute in a practical way to contemporary Australian scholarship on the Australia- U.S. alliance relationship. It was established in 2001 by the Australian Government as a contribution to Australia’s ANZUS 50th Anniversary commemorations. It is a condition of the Scholarship that the recipient produces a tangible contribution to contemporary debate in his or her area of specialty in the format of a report, which can be used by DFAT, and/or published with an appropriate accreditation.
The Fulbright Scholarship in Australian-United States Alliance Studies are open for Australian candidates who satisfy one of the following criteria:
- Academics including PhD candidates, postdoctoral researchers, lecturers, and professors in contemporary scholarship on the Alliance and issues of relevance to it
- Professionals from public and private sectors associated with the Alliance and issues of relevance to it
- Researchers looking into contemporary aspects of the Alliance and broader bilateral relationship (trade/economics/politics) of interest to both alliance partners
What are the benefits?
- Monthly stipend for living expenses
- Travel Allowance
- Dependent allowance (if applicable)
- ASPE medical insurance of up to A$100,000 (for the scholar only)
- National orientation program, showcase & gala presentation dinner
- Enrichment activities in the United States with other international Fulbright scholars
- Access to a professional network of distinguished Australian and American Fulbright alumni
- Ongoing assistance from the Commission with visas, enrichment opportunities and pastoral care
- Media and publicity support
- To access specific funding amounts for 2018/19 please download the Scholarships Budget 2019. Please note the budget is provided as a guide only and is subject to change.
What are the conditions?
- It is a condition of the Scholarship that the recipient produces a tangible contribution to contemporary debate in his or her area of specialty in the format of a report, which can be used by DFAT, and/or published with an appropriate accreditation.
How Do I Apply?
- Prior to applying, we strongly encourage applicants to read the Eligibility & Conditions section of the Australian Applicants page.
- Applications must be completed and submitted via the online portal (see below for instructions and access). Applications emailed or posted to the Commission cannot be considered.
- To discuss your application aspirations with someone in your area, please consider reaching out to one of our Campus Advisers.
- Please download the Australian Applicant checklist to include with your application.
Postdoctoral, Professional and Scholar Award Applicants:
All applications are considered for the general Fulbright Scholar Awards, however eligible applicants may elect to be considered for an additional sponsored scholarship opportunity.
View Australia-United States Alliance Studies Flyer Here