Fulbright Indigenous Scholarships (funded by the National Indigenous Australians Agency)
Applications open 6 January 2021, 9:00am AEDT
Applications close 6 July 2021, 11:59pm AEST
The Fulbright Indigenous Scholarships are for Indigenous students and scholars to undertake a research or study program in the U.S. Scholarships are available in any field of academic study, across any category – postgraduate, postdoctoral, professional or scholar.
These scholarships were established to recognize Indigenous leaders’ commitment to achieving excellence, while seeking an international perspective and collaboration through their studies/research. The scholarship was originally established in cooperation with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC) in 1993 and is now supported by the Australian Government’s National Indigenous Australians Agency.
Award Benefits vary per category; please see individual scholarship categories listed below for details. Awards generally include:
- Monthly stipend (for scholar awards) or Monthly stipend based on the cost of living in the city of the host institution (for postgraduate/postdoctoral awards)
- Partial tuition allowance for one academic year (for postgraduate applicants)
- Round-trip, economy class airfare directly to and from the scholar’s home city and the city of the host institution
- Establishment allowance – if applicable
- Dependent allowance – if applicable
- Assistance with identifying U.S. host institutions via Placement Services (degree-seeking applicants only)
- Health & Accident Insurance (ASPE) – valued at up to USD$100,000 (for the scholar only)
- Access to established professional networks – alumni and other international collaborative groups
- Orientation and enrichment opportunities – in Australia and the U.S.
- Extensive support – from the Commission as well as U.S. organizations
- Media and publicity support
Postgraduate applicants should download the POSTGRADUATE INFORMATION ATTACHMENT for postgraduate-specific information.
Please see the APPLICANT INFORMATION page for general information regarding Fulbright qualities, eligibility requirements, award conditions, interview processes and our FAQ PAGE for answers to commonly asked questions.
|Postgraduate students seeking to;
Funding is available for up to 1 academic year and includes partial tuition or visiting researcher fees.
|Individuals seeking to undertake postdoctoral research, who have completed their PhD in the past 5 years or who will have their PhD conferral before the proposed date of departure. The award supports a 3 – 10 month position.|
|Academics (at associate or full professorial level) and mid-career professionals (with an undergraduate qualification and minimum 10 years work experience) to undertake research and/or training at one institute/university in the United States for 3 – 4 months.|
Copyright © 2021 – Fulbright