Sponsored by the Australian Defence Science and Technology Group
The Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Advanced Science and Technology aims to attract outstanding U.S. researchers to work in Australia in priority areas of research for DST Group that will lead to ongoing collaborative partnerships between Australia and the U.S. and develop skills and capabilities in emerging fields of science and technology.
The Fulbright Distinguished Chair will be appointed to the Australian Defence Science and Technology Group (DST Group), or another Australian research institution that is linked to DST Group, for the relevant research program. The Chair will work on a specific research project during their term (5-6 months), and be expected to engage with faculty and students through occasional guest lectures and seminars. They will also explore long-term collaborations and institutional linkages. The project must meet the objectives of the Fulbright program to foster mutual understanding through educational and cultural exchange and support the binational relationship.
While Defence will consider any relevant research proposal, the following areas are key contributors to future Defence technology research:
- Quantum Technologies
- Human Performance
- Autonomous systems
- Material sciences
- Space capabilities
- Medical counter-measures
- Sensors and hypersonics
- A monthly stipend for a maximum of 6 months
- Accommodation allowance for a maximum of 6 months
- Generous international travel entitlement
- Travel allowance for an Australian lecture tour
- Health coverage under Medicare (Scholar only)
- Health and Accident Insurance (ASPE) to maximum of US$100,000 (Scholar only)
- Access to Fulbright Alumni in the US and Australia for social and professional networking
- Support through the Fulbright Commission to assist with administration, visas and general enquiries.
- Dependents of scholars who will be enrolled in the Australian public school system in grades K-12 may have tuition fees waived.
For details on entitlements please visit the CIES Distinguished Chair page.
Please note that applicants are required to include a Letter of Invitation from DST Group with their application.
Contact Malcolm Jenkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) from DST Group to discuss projects, and obtain the required letter.
Please contact the Fulbright scholarships team for any queries related to entitlements or application processes.
More detailed information about the application process and a link to the online application form can be found on the CIES website.