- US Fulbright Scholars may only apply for RTP funds when abroad during their Fulbright grant period.
- Recipients of the Fulbright US Graduate awards (student researchers or English Teaching Assistants) are ineligible to apply for the RTP.
All Fulbright Scholars in RTP receive reimbursement for roundtrip, economy-class airfare to the host city in Australia. Note that reimbursement of travel expenses will occur within four weeks of the Scholars’ submitting a travel report and proof of travel expenses incurred.
In addition, the host institution should provide (either through monetary or in-kind contributions):
- Meals; and
- In-country transportation (i.e. travel to and from lodging and project activity site).
- RTP funding covers transportation only.
- The period of the award is 3-14 days.
Visiting U.S. Fulbright Scholars may wish to use some of their free time for research, cultural or other personal activities. However, such activities should not be the primary purpose of their travel, nor should they represent more than a small portion of their time spent in another country (e.g., one or two days before or after the main, expertise-sharing/collaborative activities take place).
The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the US Department of State (ECA) reserves the right to limit the number of visits to and from any country and to limit the visits of any one scholar in order to ensure usage throughout the region. An individual scholar is not likely to receive more than two grants from the Regional Travel Program in a given program year, although exceptions may be made.
- Scholars must present a report within 30 days after their visit.
For U.S. Fulbright Scholars currently based in Australia with an invitation to visit another EAP country:
- Contact our scholarships team via email@example.com
For Australian institutions wanting to host a U.S. Fulbright Scholar based elsewhere in EAP region:
- Contact our scholarships team via firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the current list of Scholars in the EAP region
- Extend an invitation to the U.S. Scholar you’re interested in hosting
- The U.S. Scholar will then apply for RTP funding via their local Fulbright Commission