-2018 APPLICATIONS CLOSED Australian Fulbright Scholar Opportunities –
Advance your career with binational exchange of ideas, research and culture
Applications are now closed and will reopen in February 2019
Who can apply?
Academics (at associate professor or full professorial level) and mid-career professionals (with an undergraduate qualification and minimum 10 years work experience) to undertake research and/or training in the United States for 3-4 months in any discipline. Please note that applicants can be considered for multiple awards by noting this in the Australian Applicant checklist and attaching it to your application.
Scholarship entitlements vary per award; please see individual scholarships listed below for details. Awards generally include:
- A living allowance
- Travel allowance for international flights to/from the United States
- Dependent allowance (if applicable)
- ASPE medical insurance of up to A$100,000 (for the scholar only)
- National Orientation Program, Showcase & Gala Presentation Dinner
- Enrichment activities in the United States with other international Fulbright scholars
- Access to a professional network of distinguished Australian and American Fulbright alumni
- Ongoing assistance from the Commission with visas, enrichment opportunities and pastoral care
- Media and publicity support
- To access specific funding amounts for 2018/19 please download the Australian Scholarships Budget 2018/19. Please note the budget is provided as a guide only and is subject to change.
How Do I Apply?
- Prior to applying, we strongly encourage applicants to read the Eligibility & Conditions section of the Australian Applicants page.
- Applications must be completed and submitted via the online portal (see below for instructions and access). Applications emailed or posted to the Commission cannot be considered.
- To discuss your application aspirations with someone in your area, please consider reaching out to one of our Campus Advisers.
- Please download the Australian Applicant checklist to include with your application.
- Download 2018-19 Scholar instructions which outlines how to apply and includes the application link.
Click here to check your eligibility.
All applications are considered for the general Fulbright Scholar Awards, however eligible applicants may elect to be considered for an additional sponsored scholarship opportunity.
Scholarships In This Category
|For academics (at associate professor or full professorial level) and mid-career professionals (with an undergraduate qualification and minimum 10 years work experience) to undertake research and/or training in the United States in any discipline.|
|Academics (at associate professor or full professorial level) and mid-career professionals to undertake research and/or training in the fields of business or science. These awards support 3-4 month positions.|
Sponsored by the Australian Scholarships Foundation and Perpetual Ltd
|For professionals in the non-profit sector to undertake a program of research and/or professional development in the U.S. with an approved U.S. charitable organisation. Applicants must be from an Australian not-for-profit organisation.|
Sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australian Government
|For early/mid-career academics or professionals from public/private fields associated with the alliance to conduct research into contemporary aspects of the Australian – U.S. alliance (defense/security) and broader bilateral relationship (trade/economics/politics) of interest to both alliance partners.|
|For early/mid-career professionals seeking to undertake a short course of study or research regarding an identified problem or opportunity relevant to Australian industry or business. This scholarship was originally established in 1992 by the Coral Sea Commemorative Council to recognise the 50th anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea.|
Sponsored by the Department of Education and Training, Australian Government
|For individuals in the vocational education and training sector or training leaders in business and industry; including teachers, managers, and administrators, of private and public registered training organisations; people who are leading vocational education and training strategies within their business; staff within universities that teach in the training/skills sector.|
Sponsored by Kansas State University
|For individuals at associate professor or full professorial level seeking to undertake a collaborative project at Kansas State University.|
Sponsored by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, Australian Government
|For an Indigenous applicant to undertake a research or study program in the United States in any discipline and scholarship category (Postgraduate, Postdoctoral, Scholar)|
|Each State and Territory in Australia sponsors scholarships annually for applicants whose projects encourage and profile research relevant to their home state; and assist in building international research links between the state and U.S. researchers and institutions.|